The Best Scalloped Potatoes on the Planet Recipe
Don’t be tempted to add cheese; these potatoes don’t need it, and then they would need to be called Au Gratin (meaning to grate) Potatoes which is another dish entirely. If you’re short on time, this dish can be made a day or two ahead and reheated. Just put the casserole dish back in the Instant Pot on a rack with a cup and a half of water; they should take about 10-15 minutes.
1/2 pound thick sliced bacon
2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
3/4 cup chicken broth, or substitute beef broth
- Cut the bacon into 1/2" slices and cook in a large skillet until crisp; remove the bacon from the pan to drain.
- Add the onions to the bacon fat in the pan and cook over medium high heat until they begin to brown; remove them from the pan to drain.
- In 2 quart casserole dish that fits into the Instant Pot (7-8" round works well), layer 1/2 of the potatoes, sprinkling with salt and pepper
- Top with 1/2 of the bacon and 1/2 of the onions; repeat.
- Mix the whipping cream and chicken broth; pour over the mixture.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups water in the bottom of an Instant Pot. Place a rack (preferably with handles, but you can also make a sling out of aluminum foil) in the Instant Pot.
- Place the casserole dish on the rack.
- Cover the pot, set the valve to sealing, and set to manual for 60 minutes.
- When the cycle has finished, let the pressure come down naturally. These potatoes can be made a day or two ahead and reheated in the Instant Pot for about 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 306 Calories from Fat 172
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 56% Protein 9% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 320 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 57% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.